Footballer Sami Khedira is likely that during the next Play of his club Juventus Turin. The player was to undergo heart surgery, according to a club’s message, he suffered from heart rhythm disorders. FOCUS Online explains how Concerned should recognize it and properly treat it.
Problems with the heart, many expect only in old age. But even young people can suffer from heart rhythm disorders. Of atrial fibrillation, the most common heart rhythm disorder, are concerned about 1.8 million people in Germany. From 60 years the risk of developing it is four to six per cent, from 80 years, with nine to 16 percent. Under 50 years of age, a percent of the age group of atrial fibrillation suffers from all the same.
Symptoms of heart rhythm disorders – you should pay attention to
Heart problems can make with different signs. Not every Symptom points to a serious disease. A doctor should seek to be Concerned, but especially when the complaints occur more frequently.
Christian von Bary directs the Department of Internal medicine at the red cross hospital in Munich. She specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm disorders. The physician identifies six symptoms that may indicate a heart rhythm disorder:
- The heart is racing: heart beating in the chest all excited and irregular, experts speak of a so-called tachycardia. The Knock perceive to be Concerned, either in the chest or in the neck.
- Heartbeat consciously felt That people her heartbeat suddenly very aware that can be used both in relaxed situations as well as strenuous activities. Most of this “stumble” is harmless. Repeatedly, you should check it with a doctor.
- Syncope: a Fainting spell can be a sign of a heart rhythm disorder. The heart does not provide the necessary performance, it can disrupt the blood supply to the brain. The result is a swoon.
- Feeling of pressure on the chest: A feeling of tightness in the chest, call a physician to treat Angina pectoris. Reason can be a heart rhythm disorder, or coronary heart disease.
- Shortness of breath: A weak heart to supply the organs with enough oxygen. This can have the result that the Affected is already rising on slight exertion, such as walking stairs, or even in the resting state, out of breath.
- Legs are thicker: the heart over a longer period of time to be weak, blood circulates in the body. Fluid can then leak from the vascular system into the tissue, such as in the lungs or the legs.
Causes of heart problems
Reasons for a heart rhythm disorder, there are many. One of the most common include
- High blood pressure
- Overactive Thyroid (Hyperthyroidism)
- Sleep apnea (breathing interruptions during sleep)
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- coronary heart disease
- Heart valve defects
- Congestive heart failure
- pronounced alcohol consumption
Also sporting effort can make the heart muscle to create. Therefore, endurance and extreme athletes are not in front of heart rhythm disorders immune. “The most common cause of death in young athletes is a disease of the heart muscle,” said sports physician Folker Boldt in an Interview with “Süddeutsche.de”. At the time of the Spanish footballer Antonio Puerta had collapsed on the field and died. “Probably a heart rhythm disorder,” said Boldt.
Treatment options for heart rhythm disorders
It is important to recognize complaints that suggest a cardiac arrhythmia, in a timely manner and deal with it accordingly. Christian von Bary from the red cross hospital Munich, explains three therapies:
So-called anti-arrhythmic drugs among the symptoms of a heart rhythm disorder, press the the causes to combat. In the case of certain forms of a heart rhythm disorder also drugs for blood thinning are important in order to prevent a stroke – also called oral anticoagulants. Once the medications are discontinued, may occur heart rhythm disorders.
With a minimally invasive catheter ablation, disturbing the tissue of the heart muscle atrophies with cold energy, certain muscle cells intentionally make inoperable. The access to the heart via a puncture of the groin vessels. The patients are stunned, in General, only locally, and can track on a screen live how your heart is treated. In many cases, they are freed after the intervention of their rhythm disorders.
Such a procedure is now carried out on Sami Khedira. His club announced on Wednesday, 20. February 2019, with that the procedure was “perfectly managed”.
In this case, the Patient receives a pacemaker or an implantable Defibrillator. The device to control the electrical excitation of the heart is permanently and automatically, and in the case of rhythm disturbances with electronic impulses in a targeted intervention.